26 August 2009

Scavenger Hunt!

Today was tiring, but definitely well worth it. We started off at 8 am with a surprise scavenger hunt in the city with groups of three. We had to find a difficult-to-spot bus station, take three forms of transportation, find a postcard with a camel on it and sent it to the CIEE CEO, buy three dictionaries, and make it back to CIEE headquarters by noon. All in Arabic. Without help.

It was a little scary (and we actually had the Jordanian student volunteer with us help us out a little bit) talking with people on the street to find directions, but everyone was super friendly. It was nice to get to know the city a little bit, but I still feel like I have so much work to do.

Afterward, we found out how we did on the placement test. I still get to be the program, yay! However, I didn't qualify for a class I really really need back at NU, so hopefully, since my score was borderline, I can convince the program to let me take the history course. I'm also taking Arab Media Communication, which should be interesting.

Today, however, was the first day I went the whole day fasting, simply because we were never really in a place where we could eat or drink. Honestly, I didn't really notice it as much as I thought I would... but once I got back to the hotel, it was difficult. It was VERY difficult later at dinner when I had to wait 30 minutes with food in front of me for the sun to go down. But dinner was incredible, at a really really fancy restaurant with our professors. I stuffed myself, and they kept bringing more food out! Everything was great.

Tomorrow afternoon, I meet and move-in with my host family. So excited!

1 comment:

  1. Trisha- your mom told me about your blog. I am happy for you that you have this incredible opportunity to study in Jordan. I'll follow you throughout the year. Congratulations and enjoy your experience!
    Marci Sepanski

    ReplyDelete