It's been awhile since I last wrote, but the past week has just been way too busy. Classes have finally settled into a routine, and I've somewhat gotten used to walking all the way from the south campus engineering buildings to the north campus education building. My Arab media class has been really fun, but all of my classes are challenging, since they're only taught in Arabic.
I've been to three weddings now, and each is more crazy and different from the last. I was forced into an awkward photo op by the photographer with the bride at the last one: I guess the photographer thought that having a little American girl in one of the pictures would show the "diversity" of the attendees. Since when did adding a white girl add diversity??
I'm still adjusting to the lack of food during the day... I'll occasionally sneak snacks, but most of the day, I just don't have a place or time to eat. Thankfully, that'll all be over in two weeks when I can eat during the day again! The McDonald's across the street looks sooo tempting. Plus, then my classes will be spread more throughout the day, instead of concentrated earlier when everyone hasn't lost focus from lack of food or drink.
But my host family's wonderful, so so nice. Since the mom teaches Arabic as a second language here, she's been really helpful. My only problem is convincing them when I'm not hungry! There's always more and more food, and refusing food here is a sign of you disliking it. But I'm eating more than either of my host parents are! Hopefully, it'll all fall into a rhythm soon.
I've been heading over to this Western-style cafe called "Books@Cafe" for an occasional escape. They serve food and drink all day, the only restaurant/cafe/anything I've found that does this so far. They also have Internet, which I lack at home, and plenty of plugs, so it's been great for getting homework done that I couldn't get done at home.
07 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment